Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Reading Rainbow

Books I'm reading right now:



Title: Do I Look Fat in This? Life Doesn't Begin 5 Pounds from now
Author: Jessica Weiner

Why I'm reading it: Because one of my goals, not a new years resolution, but a goal for life is to feel good about myself no matter how I look.

Favorite part/Things I've learned so far: Fat isn't a feeling, but there are a few translations for what you could really be feeling when you say "I feel fat". They are: I feel scared, I feel angry, I feel excited, I feel sad or I feel unworthy.



Title: These Is My Words
Author: Nancy E. Turner

Why I'm reading it: Honestly it's because some blog I came across out there mentioned it and I'm all about reading books that are recommended to me.

Favorite Part/Things I've Learned so Far: I haven't started this one yet, but so far I've learned that the Mesa Public Library has 25 copies of this book and that 12 are available to be checked out. Make that 11. I did look it up on Amazon before checking it out of said library, and it seems interesting enough. "Based on the real-life exploits of the author's great-grandmother, this fictionalized diary vividly details one woman's struggles with life and love in frontier Arizona at the end of the last century. When she begins recording her life, Sarah Prine is an intelligent, headstrong 18-year-old capable of holding her own on her family's settlement near Tucson."




Title: Parenting with Love and Logic
Author: Foster Cline, MD & Jim Fay

Why I'm Reading it: Because I want to be a better parent. And I don't want to have to check out those other books at the library on dealing with a headstrong challenging child in the future. Plus Patrick and I are going to take a Love & Logic parenting class someday and I want to have a head start and know all the answers to the questions they ask.

Favorite Part/What I've Learned so Far: The 2 rules of Love and Logic. 1. Adults must set firm, loving limits using enforceable statements without showing anger, lecturing or using threats. 2. When a child causes a problem, the adult shows empathy through sadness and sorrow and then lovingly hands the problem and its consequences back to the child.

Also, the "Uh-Oh" song. The "Uh-Oh" song is simply another way of saying "Oh, what a sad choice you just made."
Anytime I have a reason to sing, I dig it.



Title: The Goose Girl (series)
Author: Shannon Hale

Why I'm Reading it: I dunno. Peer pressure?? Everyone else was doing it. I heard all these rave reviews, and I thought hey, why not?! Plus I like geese.

Favorite Part/What I've Learned so Far: Hard to say. I'm not a huge fan. At first I thought I didn't like them because they were too fairy tale/magical. But then I remembered I like magical. (i.e Harry Potter....Disneyland...). But I just wasn't a huge fan. Will I read the other 2 books in the series? Yeah. Might as well. Maybe they will get better. Sorry if your The Goose Girls biggest fan.

3 comments:

Krissa said...

i like you posting about books... gives me good ones i need to buy, i mean read... i want that first one... they all sound pretty good except the last one... maybe another time...haha...

"Butterfly in the sky
I can go twice as high
Take a look
It's in a book
A Reading Rainbow

I can go anywhere
Friends to know
And ways to grow
A Reading Rainbow

I can be anything
Take a look
It's in a book
A Reading Rainbow
A Reading Rainbow"

yup stuck in my head!

Anonymous said...

Haha, <3 Reading Rainbow...I love seeing what other people are reading!!! I've heard of all of these books except the 1st one, I'm curious about "These Is My Words"...It sounds totally interesting.

charlie and kylie said...

Just found your blog, so I'm stalking you...These Is My Words in one of my favorite books. IT IS SO GOOD. Read it.