Monday, January 31, 2011

"I was runnin"

Sometimes your friends talk you into stuff.
Like running a 10k.
And sometimes you try to talk yourself out of it, and into it, and out of it again because your not a runner and obstacles got in the way of your Rocky Balboa training schedule.
But then sometimes you decided your just gonna do it.
Because it's for a good cause.
And because it's with a good friend.
And because you just wanna show people and yourself that you can do it.

And thats how I came to participate in London's Run Saturday at Schnep Farm with Krissa and her mom Becky.

It was a really really pretty day out.
Freezing cold that morning though.
(You can't see it, but there was a look of fear in my eyes hidden by sunglasses)



Our goal was to finish in 1:45 (thats 1Hr 45Min).
MY goal was just to finish.
We ended up doing it in 1:29 (Krissa's mom finished in 1:20!!!)
We could have been faster but we had to take a bathroom break 1/2 mile in.

TOP 5 HIGHLIGHTS

5. Seeing cotton on the trail and realizing it wasn't rabbit tails/feet, but just regular old cotton.
4. Beating the 2 guys who kept trying to pass us.
3. "We Can Do Hard Things": This was the motto of the race, and we tried to repeat it while we were running, but we had a hard time remembering it. Most of the time we just said "We're doing hard things".
2. Passing water stations and acting like a true runner by grabbing the water, drinking it and then throwing the cup. I don't think I actually drank much water, I just wanted to throw the cup.
1. The finish line. I could have cried. Not just because it was over, but because I did it. There was such an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment.




Will I do another?
Probably.
I think we can do it faster.
No, I KNOW we can do it faster.

Plus I give in to peer pressure easily.

4 comments:

Krissa said...

i think i even said once that "we can do strong things"...uhh..ok...
my mind wasnt working to well...i do believe i also called combat -> combo... hmmmm...

i am so glad you went...and kept me going... especially with the visualizing where to stop thing... you visualize far ahead... haha...

i am also glad you give into peer pressure easily... that makes the talking you into another one that much easier... did you know there are 3 in February alone...

also i do recall you saying you would do a 1/2 marathon at one point (no, do not say that must have been a dream)... i wont forget that... :)

Shay said...

WOW IM PROUD OF YOU!!!! I want to do one someday. How many miles is a 10k??

Jessica/Patrick said...

6.2 miles. 6.2 LONG LONG LONG miles.

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome, Jess!! Congrats! I would totally cry at the end.