Monday, June 21, 2010

Couch Potato to 5k

Lets take a trip back in time to 9 weeks ago to April 19th. . . . . .

I was 27, Preston was just barely 3 months, the weather was cooler, life was good.

9 weeks ago I started this running program called "Couch Potato to 5K".

It's a program that is designed to transform a person who can't run at all (like me), to someone who can run 3 miles...... In only 9 weeks.

You start off doing a simple run for 60 seconds, walk for 90 seconds routine for the first week, and then every week increase.

That first week I thought I was going to die.

But I had my Disney songs, and some Miley, and an outdoor track. So I kept going, running and singing.

Eventually, as the weeks passed I hit the "run 1 mile without stopping" mark. Then the "run 2 miles without stopping" mark.

Today I'm 28, Preston is just barely 5 months, the weather is boiling lava hot, life is good.

And today I ran 3 miles.

Without stopping.

Lets face it, I don't look like a runner, and I don't claim to be. In fact, almost everyday I have to run I complain about how I don't want to run.
But this program has raised my endurance so much. Today while I was running I made it to 2.48 miles before I felt like stopping. But I knew I had to make it to 3 miles.

And I did!

I've NEVER run 3 miles before.
I've never run 2 miles before.

I didn't do it super fast.
According to the program they want you to run 3 miles in 30 minutes. A 10 minute mile?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!

I did it in 34:43.
Thats an 11:48 mile. I don't think I ran a mile that fast in High School.

And I'm not posting thing because I'm bragging or being boastful.
I'm posting this because I'm proud of myself.
And if you think you could never do something like that, think of me.

Doing something you thought you'd never be able to do feels pretty great.

5 comments:

Jen said...

amazing jess!! I am so proud of you too! I know how hard that can be so you get HUGE KUDOS from over here!! Way to go!!!

Anonymous said...

That's great!!! I am really proud of you!

Krissa said...

Seriously...you are my HERO!!!!
haha...
that is so so awesome! i am so proud of you...you have inspired me to get my butt into running...because we will be doing that 5K come January!!!! and you can already do it!!!!
Seriously YOU ROCK!!!! you should be so so proud of yourself!!!!

Bonnie said...

You are awesome Jessica!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I've heard of that program but always thought that it wouldn't be for me- I can jog for like a minute and then I'm done. I think maybe I'll try it!!! I'm proud of you, you're amazing!