Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A learning process

I love Pinterest. LOVE it. I've gotten so many fun ideas of things to do with my boys from there. I've "pinned" all kinds of projects/fun things for them to do that include food coloring. There is painting with pudding (dyed colors), painting with baby shampoo (dyed colors) and so on. Yesterday we decided to try painting with shaving cream. After an adventurous trip to the dollar store (good ole Apache Junction) we had our supplies & after naps we had our good attitudes to try it out.
Both boys went into the bathtub with the "paint".
First thing that happened was Jaxton stuck his foot into the purple paint.
Thats ok, I had planned on a mess (hence the bathtub & the nekkid babies). 


Such concentration while he painted his masterpiece. 


Jaxton alternated between trying to eat the shaving cream & painting the duck. He needed a makeover.
It was about this time when I thought "i better make sure that it isn't staining the bathtub". I didn't think it would since the website used the phrase "your bathtub will be nice and clean after your done!" It mostly wiped off ok, but since the tub needed a good scrubbing I didn't see any harm. Then I thought "i better make sure that it isn't staining my children" (yes, the tub thought came before the boys). 



Let me just clarify something. NOWHERE on ANY of the sites that I've looked at for finger painting where you dye things with food coloring does it mention it may stain your kids. Yes, I know that food coloring dyes things, but I just didn't think it would in this case. WRONG. Preston was pretty clean, but remember Jaxton's foot that he used to hulk smash the purple? Yeah...it's still got a purple ting 24 hrs later...
So the painting came to a standstill and bathing commenced. (that parts not pictured). 


But I still wanted to be a fun mom, and Preston still wanted to paint, which is better then him asking to watch Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs for the hundredth time this week. So I decided to let him go out back and paint on the patio.
Jaxton watched. 
So did Tobi. 





But then Preston started trying to paint Jaxton through the glass, and Jaxton was not happy with being on the other side so we had to change our plans again.


Third times a charm and we just did plain shaving cream on a cookie sheet.


Jaxton decided to rearrange the kitchen chairs while Preston painted. 


Then he realized I wouldn't tell him to stop when he used his hands and the real fun began! 



Pure joy.



For him too. 


In the end we had a really fun time with it, even if it took a few tries to get it right! 


Now if you'll excuse me, someone is asking to watch the "meat-mall" movie again. 

4 comments:

The Gibson's said...

I did the shaving cream in the tub with Ashlyn today too. I have to have her in the shower with me or the house will be DESTROYED!!! Shaving cream is FUN! One thing I learned is to put it in a ziploc with some food coloring, and then duct tape it closed. The kids like to squish and mix the color with the shaving cream. Jaxon would enjoy that as there is NO mess, unless they can puncture the bag. Use name brand for that!

The Gibson's said...

Sorry I spelt his name wrong, darn forgot the "t"!

Krissa said...

hahahaha... that sounds like a fun adventure... i would not have thought it would have stained your kids...haha... so fun though..
your boys are too cute!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure Blaine would have fun doing this too. He'd probably cover Enzo in shaving cream. Oh, the simple things that make little boys happy!