Thursday, August 8, 2013

Back to School!!!

Today Preston started back to school!! He only got to go to his preschool for about a month before school was over last year, so he was super excited to go. I was pretty excited too. His schedule is still the same as last year which is Mon, Tues, Thurs with the bus picking him up at 9:10 & dropping him off at 12:30. He has the same teacher, Ms. Claire too which is nice, he really likes her.
We went to "meet the teacher" on Tuesday & I got to see his classroom & what a normal day for him is like there. He has a smaller class this year for now with only 8 kids. Ms. Claire is hoping with a smaller class Preston will talk more- apparently he didn't talk much last year with the class of 13 they had. So we'll see! He has a new speech therapist this year, and will meet with her every Monday for 1/2 hour. I feel like his speech improved a lot over the summer, so I'm not sure if he will make it the whole year at school- once he hits his goals set for him in his ILP (individual learning plan) he will no longer qualify to go. But we will enjoy the time we have there while it lasts. 




We started off the day by Preston waking up at 6:20 (he normally wakes up between 7:30-8) telling me it was time for school & then he asked about every 2 minutes from that point on if the school bus was there yet. So yes, he was EXCITED.
He requested ice cream for breakfast, but settled for pancakes & OJ with a fancy straw. 



And then to pass some time we took the obligatory 1st day of school pictures. 



Naturally Jaxton wanted in on them. 
Yes, he is holding a toothbrush. For the past few weeks he's been obsessed with carrying a spoon around with him- just in case he comes across food I guess- but if he finds a toothbrush he will trade his spoon for that. 








He's such a handsome boy!!!


I finally let him open the door to wait for the bus to come. 



And then he was off! No tears, no fear, no anxiety from either of us. He just took off running and hopped on!
Jaxton and I enjoyed our morning together. We did some cleaning and then went to Goodwill where he got to eat all the snacks in my purse himself instead of having to share with Preston. This is a big deal for him.

And then we waited for Preston! 


He came home and told me it was a great day, that he didn't throw any fits, that he missed me but that he was HUNGRY!
School works up an appetite. I get it. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...


Hooray for Preschool! I remember going to something like that (I was little, I can't really remember much) and it was a blast. I think it's awesome to have that sort of exposure to other kids you haven't met & getting comfortable in a school setting. I bet he's going to improve a LOT this year. Good job Preston!!

...and I cannot believe how much Jaxton looks like your brothers! It is insane!!