Friday, August 9, 2013

a Jaxton update

Let me start out by saying this. This post is for my own record type keeping, so I can keep track of things. It's not a poor me/isn't our life so hard/give me attention/victim post. Because i HATE those & we are NOT those type of people. 
Plus it's no big deal! 

So Jaxton is now 21 months! He'll be 2 on Nov 1. To me he's still such a baby. But I think that's because he doesn't talk. Like at all. He babbles, but doesn't use words. Actually that's not true. He uses 2 words in his normal everyday routine. "Poo Poo" and "ball". If I sit with him and prompt him to talk "jaxton. say mama. say dada. say bye bye" he will try and say them, but he doesn't incorporate them into his life. I brought this up to his pediatrician at his 18 mo checkup & he said that by 2 a normal child can put 2 word sentences together. He asked if I was concerned enough about it to have him evaluated by a speech therapist & I said no, to give it a few months, that I would keep working with him but that I'd come back in 3 months if it wasn't any better b/c I don't want him getting extremely behind.
Well today we went back in because it's not any better. Don't get me wrong, Jaxton is BRILLIANT. He follows directions better then Preston does. His comprehension is amazing. He just doesn't talk. And he's starting to get to the point where he is getting frustrated by it. And I'm at that point too. 
So we're getting a referral for a speech pathologist to evaluate him. Hopefully we'll get on the right path and have this kid talking in no time! 



Preston was helping him make funny faces in this one...





We also are going to have some blood work done on him for food allergies. He has a geographic tongue but sometimes when he eats certain things its like he has open blisters on his tongue. And then sometimes he will get raised red welts around his mouth when eating other things- like Mac & cheese, applesauce, cinnamon, ranch dressing. So they are going to run a whole panel to see what he could possibly be allergic too. We'll get that done next week sometime. Apparently it's going to be a not so fun thing for him to get the blood work done b/c the doctor gave me a prescription for a numbing cream to apply to his arms before we go. But he said at this age blood testing is a better way to go then a poke test. But thats ok. Jaxton's tough! 




And lastly we discussed Jaxton's new habit of SCREAMING and CRYING when I put him to bed for naps or at night. It's very un-jaxton like behavior. He usually just takes his milk & goes right to sleep. But this past week he doesn't want to drink his milk & screams when I leave his room. He wants me to be standing right next to him rubbing his face or arm or patting his back. At night I can just let him cry it out- which takes him anywhere from 10 min- 1hr 30 min but because Patrick is on the graveyard shift now I can't let him cry at nap time b/c it wakes Patrick up. Which means I'm standing in there rubbing his head for up to an hour while he falls asleep.
The doctor thinks that he has had some sort of disruption in his schedule that has thrown him for a loop. And he has. We had a Utah trip that messed up his sleep schedule, then company for a few days, and now with Patricks new schedule we are all adjusting. And we are just routine type people! We do better with routines & ours has taken some hits lately. The good news is that he said in about a week he should be back adjusted. We'll see. 

And thats whats going on with Jaxton lately!
Hopefully in a few weeks we'll have some answers as to how to make life better for him.
Poor middle child.
Good thing he's so stinking cute!! 

3 comments:

Krissa said...

that kid is going to break some hearts i tell ya... he is going to be talking in no time too and then itll be....AHHHH stop talking haha... such a cute kid!!
those allergies and the screaming doesnt sound fun at all! i hope that allergy test helps!

The Gibson's said...

No fun at all. I have a Baby Signing Time video do you want to borrow it? It helped with Ashlyn when she was not as vocal. It's hard for mom and littles when they are frustrated because they can't express themselves! The sleep thing for sure is the new shift. As adults we can handle change (well we put on a front like we can) and little kids don't understand things the same way. I know my kids struggle with Brian's schedule still but his is all over the place all the time. I had a full out melt down yesterday myself! I hope you figure it all out. And YUCK to allergies. No fun and that poke test is hell on earth. Hopefully the blood test is not as evil! HUGS to you friend!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't mean this in a 'poor you guys' sort of way (and I know you're not that kind of person!) but I am sorry for all of you! Obviously none of this is end of the world stuff, but whenever your kid isn't where you think he's capable of being at, it's probably a bit nerve-wracking and frustrating sometimes! You just want things to be easy for him! But it's great that you're so intuitive with your boys. After working with children with special needs, getting them started as soon as you see something may be a bit of a struggle is huge. Obviously Jax isn't in that category but I'm just saying, for sure with how smart he is he'll sort it out with some guidance. Every kid has that something they have to work on it seems like! And your kids have a healthy dose of awesome, so that helps out too.