Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy New Year to me!


So tomorrow is the Chinese New Year. I've decided this year we should celebrate. Mostly because on Chinese New Year you can't:

Wash your hair, or you'll wash away all your good luck.
Sweep the floor or clean or else you could sweep away your luck. DARN!
Say the number "four" -which sounds like the Chinese word for death.
Don't mention death or tell ghost stories. But what will we talk about at dinner time?!?
Cook. Done and Done!!
Use knives or scissors or you may cut off fortune. I'm guessing this means no sword fighting either.
Lend money, or you'll be lending all year. Don't need to worry about that....
Borrow money
Greet people who are in mourning. Seems kinda mean, but ok....
Don't drop your chopsticks. But i ALWAYS drop my chopsticks!


HOWEVER, on Chinese New Year you SHOULD:

Wear brand new clothes
Wear the color red for joy & happiness
Greet your relatives, neighbors and friends & wish them joy or "Gung Hey Fat Choy" which means "wishing you prosperity and health".
Put away all brooms & brushes

It's like this holiday was made for me. I don't have to clean, cook, wash my hair or hear scary ghost stories. Gung Hey Fat Choy to you and yours and happy year of the Rabbit.

2 comments:

Krissa said...

Gung Hey Fat Choy!!!!!

i shall only nap today... no working out should be on that list... yup i think it is... oh darn!

David and Natalie Reheis said...

Wow every day of the week is like the Chinese New Year for me.