Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentines Day (Part I)

Patrick and I do not have a good history of Valentines Days.
In the 5 years we've celebrated it together we've had one good one, and that was last year. Although I can't remember what we did....
But the years before that Valentines Day has been a day of sickness, recovering from a D&C and recovering from the Preston C-Section.

This year was AWESOME though.
While we take turns planning how to celebrate our Anniversary Patrick takes on all the Valentines Day plans.
And he done GOOOOOOOOD.

For about 2 weeks he's been telling me "if you want me to tell you what your surprise is for Valentines day just let me know", but I wanted to be surprised so I never let him tell me. Till Friday night. Then he told me.
He had planned for us to have an entire kid free day.

(PLEASE don't get me wrong, I love my kids a crazy amount. But sometimes you just need a break from each other.)

He had arranged for his sister Carly (or ka-ca as Preston calls her) to come over to the house at 8 am on Monday morning and watch the kids until around 7 that night.
11 kid free hours. 

Excellent excellent gift.

The day went a little like this:

Wake up, feed Jaxton, go back to sleep while Patrick got Preston up & ready.
Get dressed/ready without having to make sure Preston wasn't brushing the mirror with his toothbrush.
Go out to breakfast with Patrick to Wildflower Bread Co.
Eat Pancakes. I haven't had pancakes in MONTHS so when the guy taking our order commented on how excited I was about pancakes he wasn't wrong.
Go to Best Buy & browse. Browsing doesn't happen with 2 little boys in tow.
Go to Barnes & Noble & browse.
Go to Ross & browse.
Go see Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows. Great movie.
Go to Texas Roadhouse & actually eat my meal while it's still hot not having to make sure little mouths are fed first.
Come home & watch a few episodes of How I Met Your Mother. Great show. Legendary.
Doze on the couch without getting my eyes poked at.
Shower for as long as I wanted without having to listen to make sure everyone was ok.

And then the kids came home.
We missed them. There wasn't once during the day when we thought "i wish we could do this everyday" or "what if our life was like this?". The truth is we REALLY missed them. I thought about them constantly & couldn't wait to see them again.
But it was a great day.
Much needed.

OH. And this happened. . .
Seriously Jack, I'll never let go. 

2 comments:

Krissa said...

seriously i love that picture! haha
yup he DONE GOOD!!!! how is he gonna live up to that net year!?!?! haha

Shay said...

This picture reminds me of when you had that huge poster on your wall... Good times!