Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Phoenix Half Marathon

Months and months ago I signed up for the Phoenix Half Marathon. Running doesn't necessarily come easy to me, but it's easier for me then swimming or biking like the sprint triathlon I did, so I thought it wouldn't be so bad. There were days and even weeks that I would forget I had signed up for this 13.1 mile race. 
I started working myself up to the race before Thanksgiving, but then took a fitness mental health break and quit for awhile besides the occasional mile or two here and there.
Then about 5 weeks ago I realized this wasn't going to be some easy thing, that running 13 miles at one time, something I had never done before, was going to be something I should get working on.
And so I said goodbye once again to my longtime love, Dr. Pepper, cut back on carbs and started running. And running. And running. 
Some days I really liked it. Most days I didn't. But I did it.
All too soon Saturday was upon us.
I had everything all laid out and ready.
Talk about butterflies.... 



The race started at 6:30 but we had to be at the finish line to get on a bus to the start line no later then 5am. We got there at about 4:25ish I think. It was cold. Or maybe it was the nerves making me feel cold. All I remember thinking about on the bus ride is "oh my gosh the bus is still going...I have to run all this way back to the car..." 


We got off the bus & headed straight to the bathrooms since I predicted they would be busy later. Boy was I right! The lines for the bathroom were hundreds people long about half an hour before we started. It was so cold out!! They had heat lamps around for people to keep warm, but 3,00+ people and maybe 50 or so lamps was just not working out. 



 The starting line!!! 


And then we were off. Started warming up about a half mile into things and was having a lot of fun. There were lots of people cheering from the side of the road, and even a guy handing out donuts to people! I didn't start having problems till about 10 miles in. Problem was I had to go to the bathroom. Don't know how we are suppose to stay hydrated but not stop to go to the bathroom! Once I stopped things went downhill. Never should have stopped. One of my goals was to run the whole thing but sadly I had to do some walking/running between miled 10-11.5. That last mile was the worst. Felt like I was hardly picking up my feet, but more shuffling then anything. But I kept going! There was a lady who was in front of me, and sometimes behind me who had a shirt that said "Run when you can, Walk if you have to, Crawl if you must, but DON'T STOP." And I didn't! Crossed the finish line at 2hr 34 min which was longer then I wanted to take. I wanted to finish it in 2hrs 20 min and 2 hr 30 min at worst. But I still did it!!
Now I can say I did a half marathon! And trust me I'll tell everyone I know. 





It was actually a really good course. Not too hilly, and lots of pretty things to look at in downtown Mesa historical housing district.

The official results.



Today I'm in a LOT of pain! Basically everything from my shoulders down aches. But as the hours pass I realize I enjoyed it a lot and am already ready to sign up for it again next year.
Then maybe someday SOMEDAY I'll do a full marathon. 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you are ready for the next race! Utah Valley Marathon!!!!! Kinda early maybe for the full marathon but you could knock out the half again? Or is it to early to really be thinking about another race?